It’s not often you come across an album that you know you are going to love and listen to over and over agin, is it? Well, I have found one. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by the sublime Black Stone Cherry is, quite simply, a stunning album. From the opening track, the dark, rustic tone of White Trash Millionaire to the final track Die For You, it just doesn’t get tired. I have listened to it at least 12-15 times already, and it keeps getting better and better. Even the tracks I didn’t like at the beginning seem to be turning into some of the best songs. Now that for me is a sign of a star record in the making! “Record”? How old am I..??
Anyway the track listing:
1. White Trash Millionaire – the sole reason I bought the album in the first place. Stunning opening with some deep and meaningful lyrics. Lead singer, Chris Robertson’s vocals are epic and the riffs equally so. This is a true rock anthem. 9/10.
2. Killing Floor – Very dark, mysterious, underground feel. Excellent track if you are in a bad mood so you can growl as you sing (or is that just me?). 7/10.
3. In My Blood – Stunning song. Excellent vocals and equally good riff, it’s a song that lifts you up after Killing Floor. 8/10.
4. Such a Shame – Dirty, dirty riff. Sounds a bet metal but don’t let that put you off, it’s a belter! 8/10.
5. Won’t Let Go – A much slower track, but it seems whatever genre of song (does that make sense?) it seems to work. 8/10.
6. Blame it on the Boom Boom – Single from the album, and as close to a pop-rock song as you will find here. Utterly addictive mind. 9/10.
7. Like I Roll – It says it all when one of the poorer tracks still manages to get a hefty seven. 7/10.
8. Can’t You See – The standard isn’t really dropping yet, another great track. 7/10.
9. Let Me See You Shake – A mixture of rock ‘n’ roll, blues and country in this belter of a track. 8/10.
10. Stay – Beautiful song with actually meaningful lyrics. Wouldn’t have thought that would you? 9/10.
11. Change – There is no letting up. Another decent track. 7/10.
12. All I’m Dreaming Of – Another slower song and another excellent rock track. Wow – this album rocks! 8/10.
13. Staring at the Mirror – hmmmmm, unsure of this but still a half decent track, seems to be sloping off a bit, but then again these are bonus tracks. 6/10.
14. Fade Away – Maybe not. Love Fade Away. 8/10.
15. Die For You – Disappointing end to a fantastic album. Can’t complain really tho, it’s not often you get 15 tracks of this calibre. 5/10.
At the end of the day, this is a truly superb album, and I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes rock, rock ‘n’ roll, blues, country, hard rock or metal. It’s not often you listen to the first few songs of an album and know you are going to love the band, not just the album. That is all I will say. Buy it. Now. Plus they are doing a UK tour with Rival Sons. Should be epic…